Monday, June 17, 2013

French Press and Travel Mugs

Travel Mugs

One of the more frustrating aspects of using a wheelchair full-time is the necessity of having your arms free whenever you need to go anywhere, even on level ground. I'm not comfortable carrying a hot cup of coffee between my legs for any length of time because there really is inadequate space, and too unstable of a surface on the wheelchair cushion, to get your beverage and yourself to your destination without spilling.

My best travel mug to date has been the one pictured on the right. It has an entirely airtight seal so even when I do drop it it never spills anything more than what was left in the rim from the last sip. The open handle design is just the right size to snugly fit over the top part of the fork my wheelchair before the frame bends down to form the foot rest. I can comfortably travel with it hanging from the frame of my wheelchair, remove it easily for a drink, and replace it to carry on.

The French press/travel mug on the left is just that. A single serving French press ready to go. As mentioned last week, I wanted to talk about a French press. Just about any coffee aficionado you speak with will quickly declare a French press superior to a drip coffee maker. The tell is in the taste. This mug can be used as a regular travel mug with a standard, but hardly airtight, lid or as a French press to go or to be poured into a different mug. Unfortunately, in addition to the high price, shipping that exceeded the high price and heavy handle that makes it very tippy (not good for anyone let alone a quadriplegic), the screens in the plunger and the pour spout do not do the best job keeping the grounds out of what you are drinking. Maybe it has more to do with my cheap grinder and inexperience.

My ideal solution is yet to be found.


Sources: 
French Press: Amazon.com
Travel Mug: Department stores or specialty kitchen shops. This one was from Loblaws/Superstore

No comments:

Post a Comment