Monday, June 10, 2013

Kettle and Coffee Maker

Paralyzed hands with limited sensation need to respect hot beverages but that doesn't mean they cannot be enjoyed independently. For me, the key is in the shape of the handles, reliance in The Gloves, to insulate from any hot surfaces touched, and to stabilize with a second hand.

Kettle


The shape of the handle on the kettle is important to my safe pouring. However, the most important aspect is the contour, or lack thereof. The squareness and sharp edge of the handle, as opposed to round and more ergonomic, makes it safe for me to stick a thumb under the topmost part of the handle and not worry about that thumb slipping out of the handle while tipping the kettle by the bottom to pour. Round handled kettles are much more likely to slip off my thumb and splash or spill, the consequences of which I don't care to think about. Those sharp edges provide something to catch a thumb joint on.

Coffee Maker



As with the kettle, the focus of the above photo is the handle. By catching my thumb in the topmost crook of the handle, the rest of the weight being borne by the flat of my hand, I can safely pour from this carafe when it is less than three quarters full. If I am making more coffee than that it is very likely there will be enough of us that someone of the group is able-bodied and could pour until it is low enough that I could handle it.

That is the drip coffee maker. Next week we will address mugs and French presses.

Source: Department Stores - The rounded ergonomic handles are almost ubiquitous now. If you cannot use those a modification or adaptation may be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment