Monday, December 2, 2013

Sparkles! Sparkles Everywhere!


I am thankful that the number of barriers featured on this website is, and will be, fewer than the number of solutions and technology to aid individuals in their daily lives. However, there certainly are a few hidden barriers that are less obvious than you might think and worth bringing to the attention of people.

I will be the first person to admit that I really like the glitz and glamour, lights and shimmery decorations, and almost all things cheap and tacky when it comes to Christmas decorations. I'm quite aware of the places that most of these decorations come from, the pollution belching foreign factories and underpaid workers. But, as a photographer who loves all unique light sources, I can't help but get a little bit caught up in what would be considered classless and cheesy the other 11 months of the year.

It was with personal hardship that this photo was made for, as you'll read, the problem I'm about to talk about affected me briefly after handling these decorations. For, you see, many of the decorations, including greeting cards, are heavily laden with sparkles. Sparkles that often fall off. When the sparkles get on your clothes, on your hands, in your hair, and stick unpredictably to wherever they make their way, it can become a danger. How, you may ask? Many of the technologies that keep us alive involve inserting a device in a place that is typically reserved for exiting.

Most common, for me, is if sparkles should make their way onto my hands or onto my shirt they can become difficult to remove and may inadvertently make their way into a private area when using pant hooks to gain access for the purposes of catheterization. If sparkles make their way from my hands or shirt onto that catheter, and become deposited inside my bladder, the resulting discomfort, urgent urge to urinate, and potential incontinence is nothing short of miserable until you see those sparkles make their way out of my body, through the tube into the leg bag, finally ending up in the toilet.

My friend, Paul, has said his daughters' love of cosmetic glitter is a similar fiend.

So, this year, when you are choosing your Christmas cards or decorations to gift to a disabled individual who has similar invasive needs as mine, try to avoid the glitter. They will appreciate it.

Here is the Behind the Scenes video.

No comments:

Post a Comment