Monday, November 18, 2013

Automatic Door Openers


Adaptations do not need to be ugly. That is why I chose this automatic door opener button to photograph instead of the large protruding circular round buttons. For some people, like flat light switches, the large surface area makes it easier to press. For me, the smaller vertical switches like the one pictured above are just as easy and far more subtle than the loud "clank" often heard when pressing one of those large round switches.

Occasionally the location of the vertical switches along a doorframe is less convenient, but in the interest of aesthetics I do appreciate them more. I have also learned that they are easier to retroactively install when the button is right in the doorframe. For a switch to be installed in the wall perpendicular to the door it will open, the electrical installation often means a lot of drilling and invasive work on the walls. In my opinion, if we want businesses to be considerate of our needs we need to be flexible and be appreciative of the most cost effective modifications for them.

As for the effectiveness of the switches, I find that far too greater percentage of them are shut off or malfunctioning. Many doors simply do not have them. I am thankful that I do have the strength to open most doors that I can get a proper grip on the handle without the help of the button. That said, I don't often pass up the opportunity to have a heavy door open for me, be it by machine or a person.

Source: Adaptive technology suppliers and installers.

No comments:

Post a Comment