Monday, September 16, 2013

Can Openers


The manual can opener. Simple, affordable and quick for the average person. For the person whose hands are paralyzed it is nearly laughable to try to use one. I have succeeded with great effort and the assistance of a ratcheting clamp to hold the handles shut, but that was simply to see if I could do it in a pinch. I think I may have been further ahead with a hammer and a flat screwdriver.


With the exception of camping, there has always been an electric can opener readily available to me. My parents have always had one and I have always had one. It still requires two hands to steady the opener and the can, especially if it's a larger can. Often I need to use my mouth to lift the lever out of the locked position once the can has been opened while I use my hands to prevent spilling the now open can. But practice, patience, along with the motivation of being able to get at the ingredients I need to cook, is what it takes to be successful using an electric can opener.

Source: Any department store.

No comments:

Post a Comment