Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Plasti-Dip and Typing Pencil


Typing with curled, paralyzed fingers is no easy task without some aid. Some quads are able to straighten a finger out enough to type effectively but others are not. There are some commercially available devices designed to fit over the hand between the thumb and index finger and extend a shaft forward with which to type. As with so many things, this is another device to be dependent on and to have with you should the need to type extensively arise.

My solution has been a standard pencil woven below my index finger, over my middle finger, then under my ring finger, with the eraser toward the keyboard. As you can see by the seasoned pencil at the bottom of the photo, they show their wear and do not last forever, especially with each weaving between the fingers including holding the end with my teeth while doing so. However, it does not get more inexpensive to replace, and easy to find, than a standard pencil. I find that the grip of the eraser makes typing more fluid and causes me to slip off a key and type the wrong letter far less frequently.

I have been aware of a liquid plastic coating available for insulating wires, adding grip to the handle of tools or any other purpose a person could find for it. What I did not know is where it could be found any longer. A friend told me of his using this Plasti-Dip to coat the pencil at both ends to add grip, longevity and durability. Since I have started using it I have found it very helpful in making my typing pencils last much longer.

The major advantage of using something such as a pencil or pen to aid in typing is that they can be found virtually anywhere you need them. The top end of a pen may not be as ideal for typing but is still faster and easier on the shoulder than using the side of my thumb, as I do when no other solution is available.

The downside is that the plastic coating product is difficult to find and somewhat expensive, especially considering that when not resealed properly the whole can will harden and be rendered useless. Just make sure the can is resealed properly and this should not be a problem. It is nice that it is available in red, black, white, yellow and green. I learned my lesson when I chose black (specifically for this photograph because I thought it would look the best) not thinking that the black tip does not have enough contrast against my black keyboard which has made it more difficult to type effectively. I have become accustomed to it, though.

Source: Home Hardware on Central Avenue North, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Amazon.com and eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment