Monday, July 8, 2013

Arm Garters



It was only recently that I discovered the effectiveness of arm garters. I finally started looking for a solution to the problem of the sleeves of longsleeved shirts sliding down over the wheeling surface of either my hand or the palm of my glove. When they would it would almost completely remove my grip on the push rims and make it very difficult to go anywhere with any sort of efficiency. As with most quadriplegics, it is more difficult for me to feel warm and I was tired of feeling cold or having to turn up the heat so high that it made everyone else uncomfortable. I've always been about function over form but the aesthetics of longsleeved shirts can be desirable, as well.

I do not know exactly when I realized that an effective product may be out there but once the concept struck me I realized I had known about them since the very first Matrix movie. Near the beginning, when Neo first meets Morpheus, Morpheus is wearing arm garters on his retro style longsleeved shirt. It is not often that I place much value on pop culture but in this case remembering that costume served me well.

After checking a few secondhand stores and coming up only with some cheap beaded bracelets that were reasonably inconspicuous, I took to the Internet and found the solution you see in the photo above. The first pair I bought was approximately $35 with shipping, the second two pairs, exactly the same as the first, I found from a different seller for about seven dollars per pair including shipping. They are available in black, silver and gold.

Now just about any time I need a jacket I prefer the additional warmth and comfort that a longsleeved shirt adds. They are just one more item that gets added to my person, along with my pouch containing my phone, wallet and change, hat and keys before going out.

Source: eBay, high-end clothing stores (but their prices are ridiculous and their quality is not necessarily superior).

No comments:

Post a Comment