Monday, June 24, 2013

Light Switches




In 1998, when my parents' home was renovated to be made barrier free, flat light switches were a rare and almost specialty item. Today, however, if only for their aesthetically pleasing nature, they are practically ubiquitous regardless of the structure being built or renovated.

I am fortunate enough to have never been too weak to be able to lift my arm high enough, with enough strength, to flip the older style of protruding light switch. I am also fortunate enough to have never needed a power wheelchair; my strength has always been adequate. To the individual with less strength or less range of motion these flat light switches can be significantly easier to use than the older style. What matters most to me, just for convenience, is the height of both light switches and electrical sockets.

Having light switches closer to my shoulder height means being able to flip the switch on a roll without reaching higher to potentially lose my balance or have something fall off my lap, should I be carrying something. Slightly higher electrical sockets mean not needing to bend over to plug something in. That said, if it is a stiff plug I may need to hands, anyway.

I do not deny that my method of unplugging things from the wall, by wrapping the cord around my wrist then slowly pulling, does not meet the ideal standard of removing the cord by grasping the plug but in 15 years I have yet to damage an electrical cord so I will probably keep on doing it.

Source: Any hardware or electrical supply store.

No comments:

Post a Comment