Monday, May 13, 2013

Sheepskin

Sheep Skin

Pressure sores and autonomic dysreflexia. The persistent threat. At the foot of our bed is a sheepskin to cushion my heels and ankles as I sleep.

Even before arriving home from rehab I frequently woke up in puddles of sweat. It was not post traumatic stress disorder, though I may speak of that in the future, or bad dreams. It was, once again, autonomic dysreflexia. A simple examination of myself revealed redness on my heels and ankles, despite sleeping on a special air bed with alternating pressure pockets that steadily change the points of pressure to maximize circulation. Real sheepskin is well-known to be an unbeatable, natural, pressure reliever and was my easy solution to the sweating problem. When shopping for one beware the synthetic sheepskins. They do not have the same pressure relieving qualities of a genuine skin.

My parents found a mutton producer who also sold the prepared pelts but they were expensive. Since then I have found other sources that are far more affordable, as listed below.

I have known of entire mattress toppers made from sheepskin as well as cushions for wheelchair backrests and wheelchair footplate covers for people who cannot wear regular shoes. It will not replace a proper wheelchair cushion, but in a pinch, it would do.

Finally, choose your colour wisely, if you have a choice. The red fuzzes from my current sheepskin are both very noticeable and alarmingly mistaken for blood on a semi-regular basis.

Our dog enjoys the comfortable softness when she is chewing a rawhide. She may inherit this one when it gets replaced.

Sources: Most Costly - Mutton Producer
Regularly Available - Home Furnishing Store ie: Home Sense, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Home Outfitters
Most Inexpensive but Irregularly in Stock, often mid September - Costco

No comments:

Post a Comment