Monday, May 27, 2013

Dental Care

I'll be the first to admit that I use my teeth, lips and tongue for more things than I probably should, but so many times the dexterity and strength required to get something done is simply not in our hands. The only alternative is our mouths. All the more reason to care for them properly, even if the transfer in and out of the dentist's chair is one of my most dreaded transfers of the year.

Electric Toothbrush


Electric Toothbrush Portrait

Most dentists recommend a good electric toothbrush for everyone, but when your dexterity is impaired an electric toothbrush can shave a few minutes off of an already lengthened bedtime and morning routine.

I have seen peers who have added a lengthened and enlarged handle to a manual toothbrush, even pairing it with a universal cuff not unlike my former Razor Cuff. The problem with universal cuffs, anything that easily slides into a pocket easily slides out, means that a motion like brushing teeth results in the toothbrush sliding back out frequently during the brushing. When I use a manual toothbrush I weave it between my fingers and add a second hand to firm up the grip.

Source: Any department store or dentist's office.


Flosser


Manual Tooth Flosser

Flossing can be enough of a challenge for anyone whose fingers are not paralyzed. For quadriplegics a proper flossing using our fingers is almost impossible. Thankfully there are ample commercially made tools to help anyone get it done.

The above photo is my tool of choice because of the amply long handle and easily replaced heads. However, there are picks, tiny brushes and even vibrating flossers with heads similar to the one I use. My hygienist and dentist thank me for it.

Source: Any department store or dentist's office.

A special thank you to Dr. Steve at Stonebridge Dental for lending me his practice teeth, from his university days, to make this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment